Psychological Dimensions of the Post-Pandemic Return to Work
30 June 2020 | VGL Forum
In a recent Virtual VGL Forum on the psychology of the post-pandemic return to work, our featured speaker Dr. Coline Covington, a corporate mentor, psychotherapist and author, shared her insights on how leaders have been dealing with the post-pandemic climate and how they can approach it in a more effective way.
A conversation with Dr. Coline Covington
- (06:16) Since we are now in the ‘managing mode’ of mitigation, what are you witnessing that is different in the waves of anxieties felt in this current crisis compared to past global crises?
- (11:49) What do the employees who are returning to work expect in a leader? Commander style? A leader who will consult them on a daily basis? What should we look for in business leaders to try to prepare for the situation?
- (15:33) How do we get our employees to open up and talk about their anxieties?
- (18:13) Will these changes (physical changes, social distancing, home office / physical office mixture) add to existing anxieties and cause a negative impact on work productivity? Or will the respect for safety and security on employees motivate them?
- (21:53) Do we build trust differently in online meetings vs. face-to-face meetings? What do we lose?
- (24:30) Since many of us feel a sense of grief/loss for various reasons, how do we deal with such feelings during this period?
- (25:57) How can leaders show vulnerability and still maintain the ‘commander-style’ leadership?
- (27:33) What do you suggest to employees who are facing a leader who wants to go back to pre-pandemic practices?
- (29:20) What will the effect of the necessary changing social norms be on motivation at work?
- (32:20) Do we as a society have the capacity to deal with the apparent ‘pandemic of anxiety’?
- (33:55) What is your boldest hope for the post-pandemic work landscape?
Stay updated with future VGL Forums and inspiring key leadership insights!
Join our virtual VGL Forum, an open space online to discuss leadership issues with experts, share solutions and enhance leadership skills across industries.
What are practical actions global business professionals can take to become anti-racist?
Key takeaways from a Virtual VGL Forum with two business leaders on their experience of managing remote teams.
What is a culture of helping in a corporate context? How can you develop a successful “level 2 relationship” with your teams and clients?
Stay updated with VGL Forums and workshops!
Vienna Global Leaders is a platform by EUNEPA dedicated to developing and connecting managers and leaders in a complex world.
Vienna Global Leaders by Eunepa
Opernring 1 / Top R748
1010 Vienna, Austria
T: +43 1 996 2078